Alas! Yesterday marked the first time that my pieces have been destroyed! One of my green bowls was broken as it was going into the kiln (no big deal, as I tried to reassure the person who accidentally did it), but the one that really got me was that lovely round pitcher I threw. The handle’s snapped off, and the note that accompanied it said that they couldn’t find the handle in the kiln. Which makes me think that whoever put it in in the first place must have broken the handle off and then bisqued it anyway. Pardon me, but WTF? It would have been a thousand times easier to get the remainder of the handle off while the piece was still green. Oh, well. About an hour with the dremmel yesterday resulted in a satisfactory solution, I guess. Either way, though, I think it’s pretty awesome that in 6 months only two of my pieces have gotten wrecked. And really, it’s just clay, you know?
Just signed myself up for Bri’s Saturday morning class beginning on July 9th. I’m excited! Her work is really lovely and she’s taught the last three classes on Thursday since Danica’s been away. I enjoy her teaching style, and I’ve seen noticeable improvement in my work from just a little instruction from her. So, here’s to a new adventure!
Last night I only managed to throw one thing:
I spent so much time working on my pitcher and trying to fix it that I really didn’t have much time to throw (plus, for whatever reason the brown clay was SUPER hard yesterday and I didn’t feel like fighting with it). This was done using a sponge to pull up the walls. First time I’ve ever done that, and I feel like this bowl, though only slightly larger than the bowls I usually throw, is somehow superior to everything I’ve done before. It feels more… even, I guess. I love it, can’t wait to trim it!
Speaking of trimming, I finally trimmed the 6 pound monster, but forgot to take pictures of it. It will probably be a large vase or planter (though there are no holes in the bottom), and I’ll have pictures of it the next time I head into the studio.
And, here are some pictures of a mug that I (finally!) finished as a commission piece!
This mug was glazed using Brady’s black and blue lapis glazes. I’ve had a little trouble with this combo before; the black glaze is strangely chunky the further down you dip into the bucket, no matter how much you stir. Because of that, I always end up getting these weird crawls like in the second picture. And, for some reason, the lapis was really thin this time, so while the mug does have the beautiful navy blue color, it’s not consistent, and it’s not as blue as it’s been in the past. Alas, the trouble with glazes! I still don’t know if I’ll be learning how to make them, but man do I want to – just so I know how to avoid this sort of nonsense in the future! Still, I’m not unhappy with how this came out (I like weird glazing mishaps – I think that they lend character to a piece, not to mention they make you more aware of how handmade something is!). I just hope that the person it is meant for isn’t unhappy, either!
And that’s all for now. I’m on a mini-vacation and it’s time for lunch! Until next time…